The front page of this week’s Chichester Observer (9th August 2012) has an article on Cicestrians suffering because of a plethora of ‘A’ boards, and the fact that Council has not done anything about having them removed. They should take a lesson from the past….
In the spring of 1792, a Board of Commissioners was appointed (by Council) to… cleanse and generally improve the streets of Chichester, and ordered one William Humphry, of West Street, to remove a sign for the “Duke of Richmond’s Arms”. He took no notice of the directive, nor did others in West Street who also failed to remove signs and other obstructions. As a result, the following spring, the Commissioners employed men to take down the signs of the Swan, Dolphin, Anchor and other inns in the area.
Georgian strong-arm tactics!