Eastgate Pharmacy

by Hilly on August 20, 2012

Hospital Sergeant Edward Baker

The Eastgate Pharmacy, at the end of East Street Chichester, was once owned by Edward Baker (1817-1902). As a young man he served as a hospital sergeant in the 34th Border Regiment. During the Crimean War of 1853-1856, he served as chief hospital orderly under Florence Nightingale , in what must have been horrific conditions. For his devotion to duty she presented him with a “Clarke’s Patent Fusee Candle Lamp”, an early type of food warmer (patented 1855) for use in field hospitals. In retirement, Edward Baker lived in 11 Eastgate Square, where John Keats started writing his famous poem “The Eve of St Agnes”.

{ 0 comments… add one now }

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: